Minna Abraham was a fashion designer by profession. After the birth of her baby she quit her job. She enjoyed motherhood and did not want to sit idle as she was bored of the regular routine and that is when she baked a cake for the first time on her son’s first birthday.
1. Hi Minna , welcome to the interview session of Annie’s Blog. To start with, we would request you to tell us a few lines about yourself.
A Fashion Designer by profession, at present, a full time home baker. This was my passion and it continues to be. I started making personalized cakes to make a few loved ones feel delighted. Currently visible on Facebook by the name of Minnaminny .
2. How did you get started with baking? At what age did you bake your first cake?
I was interested in cooking and baking since childhood and my mom used to help me with that. I guess I started baking from my 7th or 8th standard.
3. How was your first baking experience?
It was a flop show and slowly I learnt the tricks of perfect baking.
4. How did you learn baking?
I have learnt the basic lessons from my mother. Later on I learnt it from books,google and you tube.
5. When did you decide to become a professional baker and start your baking business? What was the inspiration behind the decision?
I had to quit my job after having my baby. Even though I was enjoying motherhood something was missing and I was not happy to sit idle at home. So I wanted do something my own for my earning and to get rid of the boring daily routine. That time I decided to customize a dessert table for my baby’s first birthday. It came out well and then I decided to turn home baking into business.
6. Please tell us about your baking company Minnaminny.
I am specialized in artistic and caricature cakes, sugar cookies, cupcakes, tarts and dessert tables for weddings,birthdays,anniversaries and all other occasions. All items are made from scratch using premium and imported ingredients, which are store-bought only after confirming the order. This ensures maintenance of freshness, quality and hygiene. Keeping in mind that my works have been for kid’s birthday parties, I ensure that no preservatives are added.
7. What are some of the challenging cake ideas that you performed till date?
Gravity defying cakes, sculpted cakes and caricatures are always challenging for me.
8. What are some of the signature products of your company? Which one is your personal favorite?
Sculpted/carved shaped cakes, colored ganache cakes, wedding tier cakes, edible caricatures, edible sugar ,wafer paper flowers and gravity defying cakes are my signatures.Sculpted and Caricature cakes are my favorite cakes.
9. Being a baker, you must have had to overcome challenges. Please tell us about them.
Time and last minute changes are the biggest challenges.Most of the clients compare the prices with the bakery chains and think that we are over-priced. We, home bakers use only quality ingredients like butter instead of margarine and emulsifiers which bakeries use it in their products to get extra volume and softness which are not healthy either. But as a home baker I cannot compromise on quality at any cost.
10. Narrate some of your success stories.
Almost all my cakes had given me a challenges in one way or the other ,so I love to consider each of my cake as a success story. Among those my sculpted cakes are my best, even though I will be doing it for the first time, I know it will turnout perfect. Above all its pure god’s grace.
11.What plans do you have to scale your business operations?
There are many plans in pipeline which cannot be revealed now. I have started taking classes on baking ,sugar and wafer paper flowers and fondant sculpting.
I would like to learn more techniques of cake carving. Experiments are always the part of baking.
12. Your advice to those who wish to take up baking as a profession.
Read a lot and learn through tutorials available on internet or get baking books. Start with the basic tools and equipment and on the go you can invest as you proceed further with establishing yourself.
13. If you have had one wish.
To become a well known cake artist national and international level.
Minna Abraham: Founder of Minnaminny
Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/Minnaminny-1546531468962612
Instagram Link: https://www.instagram.com/minna.abraham